The City of Irving has announced six final candidates for the Chief of Police position after considering over 30 well qualified individuals. The public is invited to meet the Police Chief candidates at a community open house on Monday, April 18 from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. at the Irving Convention Center, 500 W. Las Colinas Blvd., 4th floor reception area.
Irving Chief of Police finalists include:
- Samuel Hall, Assistant Chief, Irving Police Department, Irving, TX
- Derick Miller, Chief of Police, Carrollton Police Department, Carrollton, TX
- Jarad Phelps, Deputy Chief of Police, Prince William County Police Department, Woodbridge, VA
- Brian Redburn, Assistant Chief, Irving Police Department, Irving, TX
- Doug Shoemaker, Chief of Police, Grand Junction Police Department, Grand Junction, CO
- Darren Steele, Interim Chief of Police, Irving Police Department, Irving, TX
“Each of these finalists is well-qualified to take on the role of Chief of Police for the City of Irving,” said City Manager Chris Hillman. “I am confident that one of them will be able to lead the department as they continue the excellent work that the Irving Police Department does for our community.”
The city worked with Public Sector Search & Consulting to recruit the next Irving Chief of Police upon Chief Jeff Spivey’s retirement at the end of January 2022. The firm began the recruitment process in mid-January and met with numerous internal and external candidates.