Irving Sister Cities
Sister Cities International began in 1956 following World War II as a people-to-people initiative. Proposed by U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower, the organization originated with aid programs assisting war-devastated cities. Today’s Sister Cities initiative is a flourishing global network whose partners, including Irving-Las Colinas, engage in exchange and community development programs spanning a host of issues: arts and culture, economic development, humanitarian assistance, sustainable development and youth and recreation.
Irving Sister Cities (ISC) is a division of the Greater Irving-Las Colinas Chamber of Commerce. ISC benefits the entire Irving community–individuals, businesses, schools and universities, and cultural and fraternal organizations. The ISC sister cities include Merton, England; Espoo, Finland; Boulogne-Billancourt, France; Marino, Italy; Leon, Guanajuato, Mexico; and Darkhan, Mongolia.
The Chamber enhances the global reputation of Irving-Las Colinas through its Sister Cities program, activities and relationships. ISC focuses on building relationships that:
- Enable Irving-Las Colinas to develop municipal partnerships between foreign cities with similar interests, concerns, and outlooks.
- Provide opportunities for Irving-Las Colinas citizens to experience and explore other cultures through long-term community partnerships.
- Stimulate environments through which Irving-Las Colinas and its sister communities will creatively learn, work and solve problems together through reciprocal cultural, educational, municipal, business, professional, and technical exchanges and projects.
- Provide a forum to collaborate with organizations in other countries that share similar goals.
- Enhance Irving-Las Colinas’ international reputation as the gateway to North Texas.
- Serve as a protocol resource for the City of Irving.
- Attract international businesses, students, and tourists to Irving-Las Colinas.
- Provide unparalleled educational opportunities for our city’s children and students of all ages.